Cheesy Quinoa with Spinach
A healthier twist on mac and cheese. Hearty quinoa and bell peppers are tossed with spinach, cheddar, and cream to create the luscious sauce. A panko and parmesan topping gives us that cheesy crust we all love!
- 5 Ounce quinoa
- 1 vegetable stock concentrate
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 0.25 cup panko
- 0.25 cup Parmesan cheese
- 0.5 cup cheddar cheese
- 0.25 cup heavy cream
- Ounce spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the quinoa in a pot and cover with water. Massage it and drain it with your hand. Repeat twice. Once rinsed, add 1 ½ cups water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 15 minutes, until softened. Drain, return to the pot and cover.
- Coarsely chop the spinach. Remove the core, seeds, and veins from the pepper. Cut into strips and then cubes. Chop the garlic and onion. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes, until softened. Add the spinach and the pepper and cook until the spinach has wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the panko, parmesan cheese, mustard, 1 tablespoon oil, salt and pepper.
- Once the quinoa is ready, add it to the pan. Add ¼ cup of heavy cream and ¼ cup of water. Toss to combine.
- Stir in the cheddar cheese. Once it is incorporated, transfer to a greased baking dish and top with the panko mixture. Bake in the oven for 6 minutes, or until golden brown.
Finish: Serve right out of the oven!