Cheesy Hash Browns
A few weeks ago, my family and I took a long weekend trip to Disney in Florida to see our oldest daughter compete in a National Cheering Competition. During our stay, we met up with my Mom and her husband for a visit, went to Epcot then headed to the Contemporary Hotel for Breakfast with Mickey. If you've never gone, they serve a full buffet-style breakfast with everything you could imagine while the characters (Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy and Donald) walk around to take pictures with each table. It's really quite cute and I highly recommend it. One of the items they had on their menu were these Cheesy Hash Browns and they were so good, but when I found one of the Disney cookbooks in one of their stores and saw the recipe, I knew I could lighten it up a bit to make at home. Theirs had heavy cream, regular sour cream, and Cheddar cheese. I gave mine a little twist (go figure!) and added in some Asiago and Cheddar Jack cheese instead and used reduced fat where I could. I also opted for frozen potatoes (mainly because they were on sale), but you could certainly use fresh potatoes which would be a little more labor intensive. These were delicious and the family loved them!
Adapted from one of the Disney Cookbooks
- 1 bag of frozen shredded hash brown
- 0.25 cup red onion
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fat-free half & half
- 1 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 0.5 cup Asiago Cheese, shredded
- 1.5 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar jack cheese
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 0.5 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- In a small saute pan, heat oil and cook onions until they become translucent. In a bowl, mix together the hash browns, cooked onions, half & half, sour cream, Asiago cheese, 1 cup of the Cheddar Jack cheese, salt and pepper.
- Mix until all ingredients are well blended, then place in an 8"x8" oven safe baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of Cheddar Jack cheese on top.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 45 minutes.
Read more from Carrie's Experimental Kitchen.