Cheesy Burgers with Soy-Spiked Ketchup
- 18 Tbsp ketchup
- lettuce, for serving
- mayonnaise, for serving
- 6 potato hamburger bun, split and toasted
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- canola oil, for brushing
- 0.5 tsp tabasco sauce
- 3 garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp plain dry bread crumb
- 2 Tbsp kosher pickle, minced
- 0.25 cup minced red onion
- 0.5 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 1.5 Pound ground beef chuck, preferably 80% or 85% lean
- 1.5 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1.5 Tbsp soy sauce
- sliced red onion, for serving
In a medium bowl, whisk 1/2 cup of the ketchup with the soy sauce, hoisin, lime juice and ancho chile powder.
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef with the cheese, minced red onion, pickles, bread crumbs, garlic, Tabasco and the remaining 2 tablespoons of ketchup. Knead gently until thoroughly mixed. Form the meat into six 4-inch patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Brush the burgers with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until lightly charred outside and medium-rare within, about 3 minutes.
Spread the cut sides of the buns with mayonnaise. Place lettuce on the buns then top with the burgers. Spread some of the spiked ketchup on the patties and top with sliced onion. Close the burgers and serve, passing additional spiked ketchup at the table.
Recipe Credit: Jamie Bissonnette
Image Credit: Christina Holmes