Charred Tomatoes with Fried Eggs on Garlic Toast
You heard it here first: Charred tomatoes are the new ketchup! Eggs on toast never tasted so good.
When tomatoes are cooked in a healthy fat like olive oil, it increases our absorption of the phytochemical lycopene, which may lower the risk of heart disease.
- 4 slices rustic bread, toasted
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 4 large eggs
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 small tomatoes, such as cocktail or Campari, halved
- Rub toasted bread with garlic and brush with oil. Heat oil in a large, heavy skillet (preferably cast-iron) over medium heat. Crack eggs into skillet and cook, undisturbed, until whites are set, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and transfer to a plate.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Brush cut sides of tomatoes with oil. Sear, cut sides down and undisturbed, until charred, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer 2 tomato halves to each piece of toast with a spatula and lightly mash. Season with salt and pepper and top with fried eggs.
48 Healthy Afternoon Snacks You'll Dream About All Day
The Science Behind the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
35 Beyond Delicious No-Bake Dessert Recipes
Quick, One-Pot Meal Ideas To Feed the Whole Family
15-Minute Dinner Recipes for Everyone
You've Never Seen Avocado Toast Like This
Photography: Ryan Liebe