Celery, Fennel and Apple Salad with Pecorino and Walnuts
“In the winter, I love to have a bright-tasting salad,” says designer and blogger Athena Calderone about this side dish. Honeycrisps are her favorite apples, for their sweet-tart flavor and crisp, juicy texture, but you can use the variety you like best.
- 0.75 cup walnut
- 3 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- kosher salt
- 3 celery ribs, sliced diagonally 1/4-inch thick
- 2 fennel bulbs—trimmed, halved, cored and thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 2 Honeycrisp apples—halved, cored and sliced
- 0.5 cup basil leaves, torn if large
- Pecorino cheese shavings, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Spread the walnuts in a pie plate and toast for 7 to 8 minutes, until golden. Coarsely chop the nuts.
- In a large bowl, whisk the 3 tablespoons of olive oil with the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Add the celery, fennel, apples and basil and toss to evenly coat. Transfer the salad to a serving platter. Season with pepper and drizzle with olive oil, then top with the walnuts and garnish with cheese shavings.
Recipe Credit: Athena Calderone
Image Credit: Fredrika Stjärne