Cauliflower Steaks with Herb Salsa Verde
This recipe treats the vegetable like steak, searing thick planks and topping them with a super-tangy salsa verde. The salsa would also be delicious on beef steaks and other assorted vegetables.
- 0.25 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 4.5 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 0.5 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- 0.5 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- Freshly ground pepper
- Kosher salt
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 0.33 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp grainy mustard
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 small garlic clove
- 6 cornichons, chopped
- 1.5 Tbsp capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped tarragon
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
- In a large bowl, whisk the parsley with the cilantro, tarragon, capers, cornichons, garlic, mustards and olive oil.
- Cut the cauliflower from top to bottom into four 1/2-inch-thick steaks. Generously season them with salt and pepper. In a very large skillet, heat the canola oil until very hot. Add the cauliflower in a single layer and cook over high heat until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Carefully turn the steaks, add the wine and cook until it is evaporated and the cauliflower is easily pierced with a knife, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a platter and sprinkle with the lemon zest. Stir the lemon juice and vinegar into the salsa verde and season with salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce on the cauliflower and serve.
Make Ahead: The salsa verde can be prepared through Step 1 and refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before continuing.
Recipe Credit: Alexandra Guarnaschelli
Image Credit: Fredrika Stjärne