Cauliflower-and-Cashew Soup with Apple
This extra-fast vegan soup gets a hint of fruity sweetness from an apple and a double dose of creaminess from almond milk and pureed raw cashews.
- 1 head of cauliflower (2 1/4 pounds), bottom trimmed and leaves removed
- 1 cup plain unsweetened almond milk
- 0.25 tsp cayenne
- 0.5 tsp ground cardamom
- 0.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 0.5 cup raw cashew
- 1 small Pink Lady apple—peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- chopped roasted cashews, for garnish
- Chop the cauliflower into large pieces, including the stem. In a large pot, combine all of the ingredients except the salt, almond milk and garnish. Add enough water to cover the vegetables, season with salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat until the cauliflower is very tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a clean pot and stir in the almond milk. Rewarm over moderate heat, adding more water or almond milk for a thinner consistency, if desired. Season the soup with salt, garnish with chopped cashews and serve.
Make Ahead: The soup can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Recipe Credit: Michael Stebner
Image Credit: Nate Cover