Carrot Osso Buco
- 0.5 Pound red pearl onion
- 0.5 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1.5 cup prepared mushroom broth
- 1 Tbsp dried porcini powder, ground porcini mushrooms
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 tsp curry powder
- freshly ground pepper
- 3 very large carrot, cut crosswise, 1 inch thick at the wide ends and 1 1/2 inches thick toward the narrow ends
- 1.33 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large, deep ovenproof skillet, bring 1 inch of water to a boil. Add the pearl onions and cook for 1 minute. Drain and trim the onions, then peel them. Wipe out the skillet.
2. Return the skillet to the heat and add 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the carrots in a single layer, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, turning, until browned, about 5 minutes per side. Add the pearl onions, sprinkle with the curry powder and cook, stirring a few times, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer over moderately high heat for 3 minutes. Add the porcini powder and mushroom broth and bring to a boil. Transfer the skillet to the oven and braise the carrots for 1 hour and 15 minutes, turning once, until tender.
3. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Spoon the carrots, onions and sauce into shallow bowls. In a bowl, toss the parsley with the lemon juice and the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil and season with salt and pepper. Scatter the parsley leaves over the carrots and serve.