- 0.67 cup sugar
- 2 cup heavy cream
- 0.5 tsp salt
1. Make the caramel cream: Fill a large bowl with ice water and set a metal bowl in it. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar with 3 tablespoons of water and cook over moderate heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Cook undisturbed until a deep-amber caramel forms, about 6 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the cream and salt. Stir until the caramel cream is smooth, about 2 minutes. Scrape the cream into the metal bowl in the ice water bath and let cool, then refrigerate the cream until very cold, at least 3 hours or overnight.
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 1.5 cup freshly squeezed tangerine juice, strained
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- pinch of salt
2. Meanwhile, make the granita: In a heatproof measuring cup, microwave the sugar with 1/2 cup of water at high power until the sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes. Stir in the tangerine juice, lemon juice and salt. Pour the mixture into an 8-by-11-inch baking pan. Freeze for 30 minutes. Stir the granita with a fork. Continue stirring the granita every 30 minutes, until the icy crystals are fluffy, about 3 hours. Cover with plastic wrap.
- 0.25 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
3. Make the caramel crunch: Spray a sheet of parchment paper with vegetable oil spray. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar with 2 tablespoons of water and cook over moderate heat until the sugar is dissolved. Cook undisturbed until a deep-amber caramel forms, about 6 minutes. Pour the hot caramel onto the parchment paper and let cool completely, about 30 minutes. Break the caramel crunch into small shards.
4. Using an electric mixer, beat the caramel cream at high speed until firm peaks form. Spoon the cream into glasses. Fluff the granita with a fork and spoon it into the glasses. Garnish with the caramel crunch and serve right away.