Serving Size: 4
F&W’s Justin Chapple makes sure there’s bacon in every bite of his BLT by weaving the strips into a lattice before baking them. He adds California style with avocado and lemon-herb mayo.
- 12 slices of bacon, halved crosswise
- 4 small Bibb lettuce leaves
- 1 medium tomato, thinly sliced
- 2 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced on the diagnoal
- 1 Hass avocado—peeled, pitted and sliced
- 8 slices multigrain sandwich bread, toasted
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped tarragon
- 0.5 cup mayonnaise
- 0.5 cup mixed sprouts, such as radish, sunflower and alfalfa
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. For each lattice, weave 6 strips of bacon, 3 in each direction, on the prepared baking sheet.
- Set an ovenproof rack upside down on the bacon to keep it flat. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until browned and crisp. Remove the rack, then transfer the bacon lattices to paper towels to drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the tarragon and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread the tarragon mayonnaise on each slice of toast. Arrange the sliced avocado, cucumbers and tomato on 4 slices of the toast and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with the bacon lattices, Bibb leaves and sprouts. Close the sandwiches and serve.
Recipe Credit: Justin Chapple
Image Credit: Christina Holmes