Calabrese Mustard Greens
- 6 Pound mustard greens or chicory, stems discarded
- 0.5 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 5 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 1.5 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 0.25 cup plus 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add half of the greens and cook, stirring a few times, until just tender, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the greens to a colander and rinse with cold water. Repeat with the remaining greens. Drain very well. Coarsely chop the greens.
2. In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the garlic and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat until the garlic is golden brown, about 1 minute. Add the greens and stir well. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are heated through, about 8 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the greens to a large bowl and let cool to room temperature. Stir in the vinegar and serve.