Cacio e Pepe-Style Braised Kale
Serving Size: 4
For this fast twist on pasta cacio e pepe (with cheese and pepper), F&W’s Kay Chun replaces the noodles with kale.
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Pound Tuscan kale (2 bunches), stemmed and leaves torn into large pieces (16 cups)
- 2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- kosher salt
- pinch of crushed red pepper
- cracked black pepper
- 0.33 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- In a large pot, melt the butter in the olive oil. Add the kale in batches and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until wilted, 3 minutes. Add the broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until the kale is tender and almost all of the broth is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Season with salt. Transfer the kale to a platter and top with the crushed red pepper, lots of black pepper and the cheese.
Recipe Credit: Kay Chun
Image Credit: Christina Holmes