Cabbage, Kielbasa and Rice Soup
- 7.75 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, such as basmati or jasmine
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 0.75 Pound kielbasa, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 0.5 medium green cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
1. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 3/4 cups of the chicken broth with the rice and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat for 18 minutes, until the rice is tender.
2. Meanwhile, in a soup pot, heat the oil. Add the kielbasa and cook over moderately high heat until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add the onion and cabbage and cook until softened, about 6 minutes. Add the remaining 6 cups of broth and bring to a simmer. Cook over moderately low heat until the cabbage is tender, 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, stir in the rice and serve.