Butternut Squash, Carrot And Red Lentil Soup With Toasted Pumpkin Seeds And Lemon-Garlic Compote
Serving Size: 10
The flavors in this soup whirl themselves together wonderfully, leaving you happily slurping an steamy bowl of aromatic goodness.
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- good pinch of Aleppo pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cup low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup red lentil
- salt to taste
- 0.25 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp harissa powder (or a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 3 parsnips, chopped
- 4 shallots, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 0.5 tsp turmeric
- 0.5 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted and ground (or 1 tsp ground cumin)
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 small garlic cloves, sliced paper thin
- 4 mons, peeled and supremed, pulp roughly chopped
- pinch of salt
- 0.25 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 0.5 cup cilantro
- In a large stockpot, heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add vegetables, shallots and garlic and saute for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add in spices, brown sugar, bay leaves, broth, water, coconut milk and lentils. Increase heat to medium-high, stir well and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes. Discard the bay leaves and puree soup in batches in a blender until smooth.
- For lemon-garlic compote, saute garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat until garlic is crispy and slight burned. Add in chopped lemon and salt, saute for 30 seconds and remove from heat.
- Garnish soup with cilantro, toasted pumpkin seeds and lemon-garlic compote.
Read more from Nourish.