Bulgur Salad with Lightly Roasted Vegetables
- 2 cup coarse bulgur, rinsed
- 0.5 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 0.25 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- freshly ground black pepper
- 0.25 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 cup hot water
- crushed red pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, cover the bulgur with the hot water. Cover the bowl with a plate and let stand until the water has been absorbed and the bulgur is tender, about 20 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, on a large rimmed baking sheet, drizzle the zucchini, carrot, onion and bell pepper with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss well. Roast for about 15 minutes, until the vegetables are slightly softened; let cool.
3. Fluff the bulgur with a fork. Stir in the tomato paste. Fold in the roasted vegetables, lemon juice, cucumber and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper. Serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.