Bulgogi-Style Pepper Steak Sandwiches
These fast hoagies from F&W's Kay Chun are based on Korean bulgogi—grilled marinated beef. Chun tosses steak, peppers and onions in a tasty mix of soy sauce, garlic and ginger before grilling.
- 0.25 cup canola oil, plus more for brushing
- mayonnaise, for serving
- toasted soft hoagie buns, for serving
- 1 Pound rib eye steak, thinly sliced (see Note)
- 2 bunches scallions, halved crosswise
- 2 green bell peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- 7 garlic cloves, minced
- 0.5 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- sliced pickles, for serving
- Light a grill and oil the grate. In a large bowl, whisk the 1/4 cup of oil with the soy sauce, garlic and ginger. Add the peppers, scallions and meat and toss to coat. Grill over moderately high heat, turning, 1 to 2 minutes for the meat, 3 minutes for the scallions and about 8 minutes for the peppers. Assemble the sandwiches on buns with mayonnaise and pickles.
NOTES: Look for thinly sliced steak at Asian markets, or have your butcher slice it.
Recipe Credit: Kay Chun
Image Credit: Con Poulos