Buckwheat-Cheddar Blini with Smoked Salmon
- 0.75 cup buckwheat flour
- 4 Ounce sliced smoked salmon, cut into thin strips
- 2 large egg whites
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 Ounce sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (1/2 cup)
- 1.5 Tbsp snipped chives, plus more for garnish
- 0.67 cup skim milk
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.25 cup fat-free sour cream
1. In a medium bowl, whisk the buckwheat flour, baking powder and dry mustard. Whisk in the milk until smooth. Add the 1 1/2 tablespoons of chives and the cheddar and season the batter with salt and pepper.
2. In another bowl, beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until firm peaks form. Whisk one-fourth of the whites into the batter. Fold in the remaining whites.
3. Heat a griddle over moderate heat until very hot and spray with vegetable oil spray. Spoon 1-tablespoon mounds of batter onto the griddle and cook until bubbles form around the edges of the blini, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook the blini for about 30 seconds longer.
4. Transfer the blini to a platter and top with the smoked salmon and a dollop of sour cream. Garnish the blini with chives and serve right away.