Brussels Sprouts and Smoky Onions on Cheddar Toast
- 1 Pound brussels sprouts, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 4 slice of multi-grain bread, toasted
- 4 Ounce extra-sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. In a saucepan of boiling salted water, cook the brussels sprouts until they are just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and pat dry.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika, cover and cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the onion is tender, about 10 minutes; add a little water if the onion dries out.
3. Add the brussels sprouts to the skillet and cook until tender throughout, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Arrange the toasts on a baking sheet and top with the cheddar. Bake for 2 minutes, until the cheese is melted; mound the brussels sprouts and onions on top and serve.