Broccoli, Chicken and Cheese Pasta Bake
The calories and points are kept under control because this pasta bake is filled lean chicken and broccoli – not just pasta. Also substituting chicken stock for some of the milk helps to reduce fat and calories. Enjoy!
- 2 cup dry elbow macaroni
- 0.5 cup whole grain panko crumbs
- 2 cup shredded cheddar
- 0.5 cup grated romano cheese
- 4 Ounce cream cheese, cut into small chunks
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 0.5 tsp dried mustard powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1.5 cup 1% milk
- 2 cup chicken broth
- 12 Ounce “steam in” package frozen broccoli florets, heated
- 3 cup chopped cooked chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In boiling hot salted water, cook the macaroni until it is very al dente, only about 5 minutes. The pasta should still be very firm. Drain and place pasta into an 11 x 13 casserole dish coated with cooking spray.
- Place the chicken and broccoli on top of the pasta.
- Pour the chicken broth and milk into a medium pan. I used the same pan pasta was cooked in.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Cook over low to medium heat until it is thick and bubbly, about 10 minutes or so. Whisking consistently.
- Whisk in onion powder, granulated garlic, dry mustard powder, and salt.
- Add in cream cheese and stir until it is completely melted, about 5-7 minutes.
- Slowly add in parmesan and shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until completely melted, about 3-4 minutes.
- Pour cheese mixture over the chicken, broccoli, and pasta. Stir until all ingredients are combined and evenly distributed.
- Using a small microwave safe bowl, melt one tablespoon of butter in the microwave for about 25 seconds or until completely melted.
- Combine butter and panko crumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture over the top of the pasta mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
Make ahead instructions: This recipe comes together relatively easy when you have the chicken prepared ahead of time. You can also completely assemble this meal and freeze before you bake. When ready to use let thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then continue with cooking. You might need to allow more time if it is still partially frozen. This recipe can also be cooked completely and frozen into portions. Reheat on stove in the microwave. You might need to add a little chicken stock or milk to loosen it up a bit and make creamy.
For the full post, visit Organize Yourself Skinny.