Bread and Tomato Salad
The version I share with you here is made with onions—red onions or even sweet onions like Vidalia will be delicious. You can serve this salad on its own, or with a plate of mozzarella and prosciutto, as a great starter or as a main course. Country bread is recommended, but rustic whole grain or whole wheat is a great substitute.
- 1 Pound two day old country-style bread, crusts removed, cut into ½-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 2 Pound ripe tomatoes at room temperature, cored, seeded and cut into ½-inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup coarsely diced red onion
- 12 fresh basil leaves, shredded, plus a few extra springs for garnish
- 5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Toss the bread, tomatoes, onion and shredded basil leaves in a large bowl until well mixed. Drizzle the olive oil and vinegar over the salad and toss to mix thoroughly. Season to taste with salt and pepper and let stand 10 minutes before serving. Decorate with sprigs of fresh basil.
Image Credit: Lidia Bastianich