Braised Chicken all'Arrabbiata
Serving Size: 6
- 6 whole chicken legs, split into drumsticks and thighs
- sprig marjoram
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 28 Ounce can whole peeled tomato, chopped and juices reserved
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 small poblano, diced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.5 tsp crushed red pepper
- 6 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 marjoram sprig
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the chicken skin side down and cook over moderately high heat, turning once, until browned, 7 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a platter skin side up.
- Pour off all but 2 tablespoons of fat from the skillet. Add the onion, garlic, crushed red pepper and bay leaf and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the onion is softened. Add the bell pepper and poblano and cook until softened. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the wine and boil for 2 minutes, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the skillet. Add the tomatoes and their juices, the vinegar and marjoram sprigs and bring to a simmer.
- Set the chicken legs in the skillet skin side up. Bake in the upper third of the oven for 35 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through. Discard the marjoram and season the sauce with salt and pepper. Garnish with the chopped marjoram and serve.