Makes enough for 1 double -crust 9-inch pie; 8 servings
1. In a bowl, whisk together the spelt and teff flours, sugar, five-spice powder, and salt.
2. Add the butter slices and toss lightly to coat them with the dry ingredients.
3. T urn out the mixture onto a clean, floured work surface.
4. With a rolling pin, lightly roll the butter to flatten the slices into the flour mixture.
5. Using a dough scraper, gather up the mixture into a pile.
6. Then, pound it with the rolling pin.
7. Repeat the process three or four times, just until the mixture looks dry and flaky.
8. Use the scraper to scoop up and transfer the mixture back into the bowl.
9. Add 1⁄3 cup water and stir with a sturdy spoon or a rubber spatula just until a loose dough forms.
10. Turn out the dough onto the floured work surface and flatten and fold it over a few times by hand.
11. Form the dough into a flat disc.
12. Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before rolling out.