BLT Bread Salad
- 3 3/4-inch-thick slice of rustic white bread, cubed 4 cups
- 1 cup red cherry tomato, halved
- 1 head butter lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces about 5 cups
- 4 thick slice of bacon, 4 ounces cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- freshly ground black pepper
- kosher salt
- 0.5 small shallot, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 0.25 cup basil leaves
- 3 Ounce soft silken tofu
- 1 cup yellow pear tomato, halved
1. Preheat the oven to 250°. Spread the bread cubes on a rimmed baking sheet and toast in the oven for about 15 minutes, until the bread cubes are dry.
2. Meanwhile, in a blender, combine the tofu with the basil leaves, canola oil, Champagne vinegar and chopped shallot and puree until very smooth. Season the dressing with salt and pepper and reserve.
3. In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer the bacon to paper towels and let drain.
4. In a large bowl, toss the toasted bread cubes with the bacon, lettuce and tomatoes. Add the basil dressing, toss the salad until evenly coated and serve.