Black Bean and Wheatberry Chili
This recipe is vegan (unless you add cheese and sour cream) and makes about six serving. You could even double the recipe and plan to have leftovers for lunch the rest of the week.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- sour cream, optional
- avocado, optional
- juice of 1 lime
- 1.5 cup cooked wheat berries, cooked*
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 2 cup vegetable broth (used homemade)
- 1 24 ounce can of diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cup black beans, cooked (used dried but feel free to use canned)
- 0.5 tsp black pepper
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- cilantro for garnish, optional
Adapted from Eating Well.
- Heat olive oil over medium in a large pot. Add in the onion, carrots, bell pepper, chili powder, cumin, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 7 to 10 minutes or until all the vegetables has softened. Next, add in the tomatoes, broth, black beans, and cocoa powder. Bring the chili to a bowl, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Add wheat berries and let cook for another two minutes.
- Remove from heat and squeeze in lime juice. Serve with garnish options (avocado, sour cream cilantro, plain yogurt, etc).
Note: To cook 1 1/2 cups of Wheatberries: Rinse 3/4 cup of berries and letting them simmer for 45 minutes or until softened.
For the full post, visit Vegetarian Ventures.