Bitter Greens with Almonds and Goat Cheese
- 0.5 cup whole unsalted almonds
- freshly ground pepper
- kosher salt
- 3 Tbsp apricot jam
- 0.5 tsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp rosemary leaves
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 0.5 small head of radicchio, cored and finely shredded
- 2 Belgian endive, thinly sliced crosswise
- 6 cup baby arugula, 6 ounces
- 3 Tbsp raspberry vinegar
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 8-ounce log of fresh goat cheese, cut into 8 rounds
1. Preheat the oven to 350°. Spread the almonds in a pie plate and toast for 10 minutes, until golden. Let cool, then coarsely chop.
2. In a bowl, mix the shallot and vinegar; let stand for 10 minutes. In a large bowl, toss the arugula, endives, radicchio and almonds. In a skillet, heat the oil, rosemary and thyme over moderate heat for 2 minutes, until they sizzle. Stir in the jam and cook until melted, 30 seconds. Add the shallot and vinegar and cook over low heat until warmed, 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the greens and toss. Mound the salad on plates, arrange 2 rounds of goat cheese on each plate and serve.