Best-Ever Meat Loaf
"The combination of onion, carrots, parsley and cheese—plus the tomato-mustard topping—makes this meat loaf unusually colorful. This is an attractive entree to serve, and it has a unique, unforgettable flavor. The recipe lends itself easily to being doubled or halved to suit the number you're cooking for, and it also freezes well!"
- 2 eggs
- 0.5 cup packed brown sugar
- 0.5 cup tomato sauce
- 1.5 Pound lean ground beef
- 0.25 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried basil, thyme or sage, optional
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar or part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 0.5 cup grated carrot
- 0.5 cup chopped onion
- 3 slices bread, torn
- 0.67 cup milk
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add milk and bread; let stand until liquid is absorbed. Stir in the onion, carrot, cheese and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.
- Shape into a 7-1/2-in. x 3-1/2-in. x 2-1/2-in. loaf in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Combine the topping ingredients; spoon half of the mixture over meat loaf. Bake 30 minutes longer or until meat is no longer pink and a meat thermometer reads 160°, occasionally spooning remaining topping over loaf. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Yield: 6 servings.
For more great Meat Loaf Recipes visit www.Tasteofhome.com.