Beet-And-Potato Latkes With Thyme
Serving Size: 6
These potato pancakes get a boost of flavor from sweet beets and thyme. They’re delicious with sour cream.
- 1 large baking potato (3/4 pound)—peeled, julienned on a mandoline and patted dry
- 2 medium beets (1/2 pound)—peeled, julienned on a mandoline and patted dry
- 0.25 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp thyme leaves
- 0.5 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 0.25 cup canola oil
- sour cream, for serving
- In a large bowl, toss the potato and beets with the flour, thyme, pepper and the 1 teaspoon of salt. Add the eggs and mix well.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the canola oil until shimmering. Spoon 1/2 cup of the beet mixture into the hot oil to make about 3 latkes; press lightly to flatten. Fry over moderate heat, turning once and adding 1 tablespoon of oil, until the latkes are golden and crisp on both sides, about 15 minutes. Repeat with the remaining beet mixture and 2 tablespoons of oil. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. Serve with sour cream.
Recipe Credit: Kay Chun
Image Credit: Fredrika Stjärne