Beet and Arugula Salad
This simple salad sits up and takes notice. Leafy and peppery arugula has anti-carcinogenic, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties. Endive is loaded with potassium. And the quick-pickled beets are an antioxidant powerhouse.
To make salad
- 1 bunch of arugula, washed and dried
- black pepper
- 0.25 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 4 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 0.5 large beet, peeled and cut into batons
- 1 head of Belgian endive, leaves separated
- Right. Set the cleaned and dried leaves aside. I wrap them loosely in a damp kitchen cloth and keep them in the fridge till I need them.
- In a small bowl mix the vinegar with the sugar and salt and pepper, and drop the raw beet batons into the marinade. Ten minutes are fine, half an hour is better. Turn over every now and then.
To make dressing
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp good olive oil
- In a large bowl whisk the sherry vinegar with the salt and sugar and then add the oil. Whisk till emulsified. Add black pepper. Put the leaves in the bowl and toss. Stack them immediately on a flat plate and add the beet pieces once they have been drip-dried.
Read more from 66 Square Feet.