This recipe is one of my mom's specialties. It's a hearty main dish that gets requested time and time again. The from-scratch sauce makes each cheesy slice extra flavorful and softer-textured than other versions.—Kim Orr, West Grove, Pennsylvania
- 1 Pound ground beef
- 16 Ounce shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 16 Ounce 4% cottage cheese
- 9 lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 0.25 tsp pepper
- 0.5 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 0.5 tsp to 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 6 Ounce tomato paste
- 15 Ounce tomato sauce
- 1.5 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, cook beef over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the water, tomato sauce and paste, soup mix, oregano, sugar and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Spoon 1/2 cup meat sauce into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with three noodles and a third of the cottage cheese, mozzarella, meat sauce and Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Yield: 12 servings.
For more great Beef Casserole Recipes visit www.Tasteofhome.com.