Barbecue Shrimp Bagna Cauda with Crudités
- 1.5 Pound broccoli, cut into 1-inch florets
- 4 scallion, cut into 3-inch lengths
- 16 large, unpeeled head-on shrimp
- 3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 1 Tbsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1.5 cup pure olive oil
- 2 stick unsalted butter
- 8 oil-packed anchovy fillets, chopped
- 8 garlic clove, finely grated or minced
- 8 medium fingerling potato
- 1 Pound fennel bulb - halved lengthwise, cored and cut into thin strips
- 1.5 Pound cauliflower, cut into 1-inch florets
- crusty bread, for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and fill a large bowl with ice water. Blanch the broccoli and cauliflower until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables to the ice water. Add the fennel to the pot and blanch for 1 minute; transfer to the ice water. Add the potatoes to the pot and cook until tender, 10 minutes; transfer to the ice water. Drain the vegetables and pat dry. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise.
- On a surface, using the flat side of a chef’s knife, mash the garlic and anchovies to a paste; scrape into a large, deep skillet. Add the butter, oil, black pepper and rosemary; bring to a simmer over moderate heat. Nestle the shrimp into the bagna cauda and cook, turning once, until just pink in spots. Cover and simmer until the shrimp are pink all over, 3 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Arrange the vegetables, scallions and bread on a platter. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the shrimp to another platter. Pour some of the bagna cauda sauce over the shrimp and the rest into a wide bowl. Serve right away with plenty of napkins.
Recipe Credit: David Kinch
Image Credit: Cedric Angeles