Baked Banana Oatmeal
This is another great weekend morning treat – especially if it’s feeling fall-ish where you are. If you are home and in the mood for a slightly sweet, comfort-foody breakfast (if not, you are probably a Cylon), I recommend trying this one out.
- 2 cup rolled oat (NOT instant!)
- 1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted and given a few minutes to cool down
- 1 egg
- 2 cup milk
- 0.5 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.33 cup sugar
- 0.75 cup ground walnut
- 2 ripe banana, cut into rounds
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Start by spraying a 10×10 glass baking dish or a similarly-sized pie pan well with nonstick spray (or buttering if you prefer). Arrange the banana slices on the bottom (pretty close to a single layer is good, but not a dealbreaker if some overlap).
- In a bowl, mix together the oats, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. In another vessel (I like to do this in one of those 2-cup Pyrex glass liquid measurement cups), mix together the milk, egg, butter and vanilla. Letting the butter cool back down a bit is important so you don’t curdle the milk or egg. Putting the melted butter in cold milk might cause some of it to re-solidify into little curds – that is way less problematic because they will just melt again!
- Pour the liquids into the solids and use a whisk to just blend. Pour over the bananas. Sprinkle the ground walnuts on top.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, until the top has some nice browning and the mixture appears to have set up.
- I did about 4×4 inch squares for servings. My favorite was to have it with blueberry jam.
Read more from pdxfoodlove.