Bacon Burgers with Cilantro-Yogurt Sauce
This burger recipe mixes ground beef chuck with bacon, scallions, mint and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese for stellar flavor.
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 8 toasted hamburger buns
- Canola oil, for brushing
- 0.25 tsp cayenne
- 0.5 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest
- 0.75 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 0.5 cup chopped mint
- 6 scallions, white and light green parts only, minced
- 0.5 Pound bacon, minced (1 cup)
- 2.5 Pound ground chuck
- 2.5 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 0.5 small red onion, chopped
- 0.25 cup minced fresh ginger
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, chopped
- Sliced tomatoes and onions, lettuce, ketchup, mustard and Sriracha, for serving
- In a food processor, puree the yogurt, jalapeños, cilantro, ginger, onion, sugar and 1 teaspoon of the salt until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the ground beef with the bacon, scallions, mint, cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, black pepper, cayenne and the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Form into eight 1-inch-thick patties.
- Heat a cast-iron griddle and brush with oil. Cook the burgers over moderate heat, turning once, until charred outside and medium within, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Spread some of the yogurt sauce on the bottom buns, top with the burgers and layer with toppings. Close the burgers and serve.
Recipe Credit: Suvir Saran
Image Credit: Jonathan Lovekin