Avocado-and-Shrimp Salad with Red Goddess Dressing
Chef Jonathan Waxman makes his tangy goddess dressing red instead of the classic green, using red bell peppers for color and flavor.
- 1 roasted red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 Hass avocados, cut into wedges
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- 0.25 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 head of lettuce, torn into large pieces
- kosher salt
- 0.25 cup plus 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbsp plain yogurt
- 1 tsp minced jalapeño
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 Pound cooked shrimp
- In a blender, combine the roasted pepper, shallot, garlic, jalapeño, yogurt, vinegar and lemon juice and puree until smooth. Scrape the puree into a medium bowl and whisk in 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Season with salt.
- In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the cilantro leaves, lime juice and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil; season with salt. Arrange the dressed lettuce, avocado wedges and shrimp on plates and drizzle with some of the dressing. Serve the remaining Red Goddess dressing on the side.
Make Ahead: The dressing can be refrigerated overnight.
Recipe Credit: Jonathan Waxman
Image Credit: Jonathan Lovekin