Asian Sloppy Joe Sliders
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- spicy pickles (optional), for serving
- shredded iceberg lettuce (optional), for serving
- brioche dinner rolls, split and toasted
- 0.25 cup lime juice
- 1 cup drained canned diced tomatoes
- 1 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 Pound ground pork
- 1 Pound ground chicken thighs
- fresh ground pepper
- kosher salt
- 2.5 Tbsp minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp sambal oelek or other Asian chile sauce
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 medium red onions, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger
- In a large, deep skillet, heat the canola oil until shimmering. Add the onions, celery, sambal oelek, garlic, ginger and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes. Add the ground chicken and pork and cook, stirring occasionally to break up the meat, until no pink remains, about 5 minutes. Stir in the hoisin, tomatoes and lime juice and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of the sloppy joe filling on the bottom half of each roll. Top with shredded lettuce and pickles and serve.
Make ahead: The sloppy joe filling can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat gently before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Ming Tsai.
Image Credit: Con Poulos