I remember coming home sullen one day because we'd lost a softball game. Grandma, in her wisdom, suggested, "Maybe a slice of hot apple pie will make you feel better." One bite...and Grandma was right.
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1 Tbsp butter
- pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 7 cup thinly sliced peeled tart apples
- 0.25 tsp ground nutmeg
- 0.25 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 0.5 cup packed brown sugar
- additional sugar
- In a small bowl, combine the sugars, flour and spices; set aside. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Add sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom crust; trim pastry even with edge. Fill with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Beat egg white until foamy; brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar. Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes. Remove foil and bake 20-25 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Yield: 8 servings
For more great Apple Pie Recipes visit www.Tasteofhome.com.