Apple-Butter French Toast Sandwiches
Pumpkin-pie spice in the French toast batter and a layer of apple butter in between slices makes unique breakfast sandwiches that will remind you of apple pie.
Eat Smart: Serve this sweet breakfast with fresh apple slices for extra fiber and vitamin C.
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 0.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 8 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 0.25 cup apple butter
- 2 tsp confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. In a large shallow dish, whisk together milk, eggs and egg whites, granulated sugar, vanilla, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Place 4 bread slices in milk mixture and let soak 1 minute per side. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium. Add soaked bread to skillet and cook until golden brown, about 8 minutes, flipping once. Transfer to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet and place in oven. Wipe out skillet. Repeat with remaining bread.
- Spread each of 4 slices with 1 tablespoon apple butter. Top with remaining slices and dust with confectioners' sugar. Serve immediately.
48 Healthy Afternoon Snacks You'll Dream About All Day
The Science Behind the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
35 Beyond Delicious No-Bake Dessert Recipes
Quick, One-Pot Meal Ideas To Feed the Whole Family
15-Minute Dinner Recipes for Everyone
You've Never Seen Avocado Toast Like This
Photography: Romulo Yanes