Almost-Instant Chilled Borscht
Fresh beet juice and shredded beets are the secret to this ultra-fresh, super-quick take on borscht.
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- sour cream for garnish
- prepared horseradish for garnish
- 1.5 cup store-bought fresh beet juice
- 2 Tbsp aged sherry vinegar
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup coarsely shredded carrots
- 1 cup coarsely shredded peeled raw beets
- 0.25 cup minced white onion
- dill sprig for garnish
In a medium saucepan, heat the canola oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the beets and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Add the carrots, season with salt and pepper and cook until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Add the vinegar and cook until evaporated. Add the beet juice and immediately transfer to a bowl. Set the bowl in a bowl of ice water to chill. Serve the borscht in small bowls, garnished with horseradish, sour cream and dill.
Recipe courtesy of: Grace Parisi
Image Credit: John Kemick