We tend to keep a lot of nuts and seeds on hand, but we were out of everything that could conceivably be pesto except the almonds – which turned out to be delicious!
- 1 cup fresh basil leaf
- 0.5 cup raw almond
- 3 clove garlic (to taste)
- 0.67 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 0.5 tsp coarse salt (kosher, sea, etc.)
- 0.5 cup olive oil
- Wash your basil thoroughly and add it to your food processor. Follow with the almonds, parm, garlic and salt. Puree until a thick paste. Then start adding in the olive oil – you will probably need to scrape down the sides of the bowl to get the basil paste back in blade territory.
- Add 1/4 cup first, and then see where that gets you as far as consistency. I am pretty sure I ended up adding a full 1/2 cup.
- Salt will be another issue – I don’t know if it’s because of the way almonds taste, or what, but I ended up adding a lot of salt to this – probably the full half teaspoon. When you get it to the right consistency, taste it, and adjust if you need. Only add salt a little bit at a time, though. It’s much easier to over-salt than it is to over-olive oil.