- 5 small red onion, peeled, each cut through the roots into 8 wedges
- 2 lemon, zests removed in strips, plus 1 lemon cut lengthwise into wedges
- 1 Tbsp plus 2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper flakes
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 large clove garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- 1.5 Tbsp plus 2 teaspoons dried mint, crumbled
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Pound 4-pound chicken
1. Preheat the oven to 425°. In a medium bowl, toss the onions, olive oil and the 2 teaspoons of mint. Season with salt and black pepper.
2. In a small bowl, mash the butter with the garlic, scallions, Aleppo pepper, lemon zest and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of mint; season with salt. Rub the seasoned butter evenly under the skin of the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and set the chicken in a medium roasting pan.
3. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper and roast for 20 minutes. Add the onions to the pan, reduce the oven to 375° and roast for 20 minutes longer. Squeeze the lemon wedges over the chicken and add to the pan. Roast for 35 minutes longer, basting, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thigh registers 165°. Transfer the chicken to a surface. Let rest for 10 minutes.
4. Return the pan with the onions and lemon to the oven; roast for 10 minutes. Remove the string and carve the chicken. Serve with the onions, lemon wedges and pan juices.