The 2013 James Beard Foundation Awards
While stars such as Anne Hathaway and Sarah Jessica Parker came out for the fabulous, fashion-packed Met Gala at NYC's Metropolitan Museum of Art, the stars of the culinary world flocked to another spectacular event, just across Central Park. The 2013 James Beard Foundation Awards brought out culinary icons such as Emeril Lagasse, Dan Barber, Todd English and Top Chef's Padma Lakshmi.
The imaginative culinary minds named Best Chef by region included:
- Great Lakes: Stephanie Izard of Chicago's Girl & the Goat
- Mid-Atlantic: Johnny Monis of Washington D.C.'s Komi
- Mid-West: Colby Garrelts of Kansas City's Bluestem
- NYC: Wylie Dufresne of WD-50
- Northeast: Melissa Kelly of Primo in Rockland, ME
- Northwest: Gabriel Rucker of Le Pigeon in Portland, OR
- South: Tory McPhail of New Orleans's Commander's Palace
- Southeast: Joseph Lenn of The Barn at Blackberry Farm in Walland, TN
- Southwest: Jennifer Jasinski of Denver's Rioja
- West: Christopher Kostow of The Restaurant at Meadowood in St. Helena, CA
Restaurant winners included San Francisco's State Bird Provisions as the Best New Restaurant, NYC's Del Posto for Best Service and Frasca Food and Wine for Outstanding Wine Program. Outstanding Pastry Chef went to Del Posto's Brooks Headley, Outstanding Restauranteur went to Le Bernardin's Maguy Le Coze and Rising Star of the Year was awarded to Danny Bowien of Mission Chinese Food in San Francisco and NYC.
Image Credit: Andy Kropa/Invision/AP