Latest Sports Scores

Scoreboard

  • ALL
  • NBA
  • MLB
  • NHL
  • NBA
  • 5/23 8:30 PM EDT
    BOS0
    CLE0
  • MLB
  • 5/23 7:05 PM EDT
    Min0
    Bal0
  • 5/23 7:05 PM EDT
    KC0
    NYY0
  • 5/23 7:05 PM EDT
    SF0
    ChC0
  • 5/23 7:05 PM EDT
    Sea0
    Was0
  • 5/23 7:05 PM EDT
    Col0
    Phi0
  • 5/23 7:10 PM EDT
    Tex0
    Bos0
  • 5/23 7:10 PM EDT
    Cle0
    Cin0
  • 5/23 7:10 PM EDT
    SD0
    NYM0
  • 5/23 7:10 PM EDT
    LAA0
    TB0
  • 5/23 7:35 PM EDT
    Pit0
    Atl0
  • 5/23 7:40 PM EDT
    Tor0
    Mil0
  • 5/23 8:10 PM EDT
    Det0
    Hou0
  • 5/23 9:40 PM EDT
    CWS0
    Ari0
  • 5/23 10:05 PM EDT
    Mia0
    Oak0
  • 5/23 10:10 PM EDT
    StL0
    LAD0
  • NHL
  • 5/23 8:00 PM EDT
    PIT0
    OTT0

Poll: Atlanta Falcons favored to defeat New England Patriots in Super Bowl LI

While the Patriots may be the bookmakers' favorites, a poll conducted by AOL News found that the majority of users believe the Atlanta Falcons will win Super Bowl LI, defeating the New England Patriots.

Polling data collected over the last five days shows most believe the underdogs Atlanta Falcons will defeat the favored New England Patriots in this year's Super Bowl.

Related: Each team's odds of winning the Super Bowl, via FiveThirtyEight

13 PHOTOS
Each team's odds of winning the Super Bowl, via FiveThirtyEight
See Gallery
Each team's odds of winning the Super Bowl, via FiveThirtyEight

Detroit Lions (eliminated)

Chances to win Super Bowl LI: <1%

(Photo by Leon Halip/Getty Images)

Houston Texans (eliminated)

Chances to win Super Bowl LI: <1%

(Photo by Bob Levey/Getty Images)

Miami Dolphins (eliminated)

Chances to win Super Bowl LI: <1%

(Al Diaz/Miami Herald/TNS via Getty Images)

Oakland Raiders (eliminated)

Chances to win Super Bowl LI: 2%

(Photo by Dustin Bradford/Getty Images)

New York Giants (eliminated)

Chances to win Super Bowl LI: 2%

(Photo by Rob Carr/Getty Images)

Pittsburgh Steelers

Chances to win Super Bowl LI: 5%

(Photo by: Nick Cammett/Diamond Images/Getty Images)

Green Bay Packers

Chances to win Super Bowl LI: 5%

(Photo by Adam Ruff/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Seattle Seahawks (eliminated)

Chances to win Super Bowl LI: 5%

(Photo by Thearon W. Henderson/Getty Images)

Atlanta Falcons

Chances to win Super Bowl LI: 14%

(Photo by Todd Kirkland/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Dallas Cowboys (eliminated)

Chances to win Super Bowl LI: 14%

(Photo by Mitchell Leff/Getty Images)

Kansas City Chiefs (eliminated)

Chances to win Super Bowl LI: 16%

(Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)

New England Patriots

Chances to win Super Bowl LI: 35%

(Photo by Jim Davis/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)

HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

But the margin is small. The survey found 51.2 percent of voters feel the Falcons will win host the Lombardi trophy, while just 48.8 percent feel the Patriots will win the championship. Roughly 25,000 people voted in the poll conducted over the last week.

However, the majority of experts still give New England the best odds of coming out on top. According to Nate Silver, New England has a 61 percent chance of winning, while Atlanta has only 39 percent chance of taking the trophy.

SEE ALSO: 5 worst coaches to win the Super Bowl

If the Patriots win Super Bowl 51, it will be the franchise's fifth Super Bowl championship. They would move up, tying the Dallas Cowboys and the San Francisco 49ers for the second-most Super Bowl wins. The Pittsburgh Steelers top all NFL teams with six championship wins.

If the Falcons overcome the odds to defeat New England, it would be the first Super Bowl win for the organization. Atlanta currently sits with 12 other NFL teams who have never secured a Super Bowl win.

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.