Crowds were dispersed from New Orleans’ famous Bourbon Street on Saturday night as police officers enforced the city’s ban on large gatherings amid the coronavirus pandemic.
In a now-viral video posted on Twitter, police cars are seen moving slowly through the popular tourist spot and imploring partiers to go home.
“By order of the governor and the mayor, large crowds of people are prohibited from congregating together. Your actions are jeopardizing public health and we are directing you to clear the streets and to go home or back to your hotel. Thank you for your cooperation,” an officer said over a loudspeaker as sirens blare.
On Sunday evening, Mayor LaToya Cantrell (D) issued guidelines for bars and restaurants throughout the city in response to the coronavirus outbreak. Under her edict, “all full-service restaurants with seating cease operations at 9 p.m. daily” and will “limit their seating capacity for social distancing.”
“The goal is to reduce seating by up to 50%,” read the guidelines, which also stipulate that bars and nightclubs will limit their capacities by the same and “will cease service at 12 a.m. daily.”
The police enforcement of the large gathering ban comes on the heels of Gov. John Bel Edwards (D) closing public schools from March 16 through April 13 and instituting a limit of all public gatherings to 250 people on Friday.
In another statement on Sunday evening, Cantrell said: “This is a crisis. This is real. You have to pay attention. The news this morning of a second death in Orleans Parish is heartbreaking, personally — and is additional tragic news for the people of our City. We are losing loved ones. We all have a role to play — every resident in this City.”
As of Monday morning, cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the new virus, had reached 79 in New Orleans and totaled 114 in all of Louisiana.
Last week, Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson announced that they had tested positive for COVID-19 after contracting it in Australia, where Hanks was filming a movie.
"We felt a bit tired, like we had colds, and some body aches," the Oscar-winning actor shared on Instagram. "Rita had some chills that came and went. Slight fevers too. To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the Coronavirus, and were found to be positive."
"Well, now. What to do next? The Medical Officials have protocols that must be followed. We Hanks’ will be tested observed, and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires. Not much more to it than a one-day-at-a-time approach, no?"
Idris Elba took to Twitter on Monday morning to announce that he, too, contracted the virus. The actor was at the same conference in Webley as Sophie Trudeau, who also tested positive.
He shared with his fans:
"This morning I tested positive for Covid 19. I feel ok, I have no symptoms so far but have been isolated since I found out about my possible exposure to the virus. Stay home people and be pragmatic. I will keep you updated on how I’m doing. No panic.
Sophie Gregorie Trudeau, the wife of Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau, was announced to have tested positive for the virus last week.
Her symptoms developed after attending a conference in Britain in early March. The prime minister is not showing symptoms and will not be tested, but will remain under quarantine.
Kristofer Hivju, best known for his role as Tormund on "Game of Thrones," took to Instagram on Monday to reveal he was self quarantining with his family in Norway.
"We are in good health,” he wrote. “I only have mild symptoms of a cold. There are people at higher risk for who this virus might be a devastating diagnosis, so I urge all of you to be extremely careful; wash your hands, keep 1,5 meters distance from others, go in quarantine; just do everything you can to stop the virus from spreading.
Olga Kurylenko, who starred in the James Bond movie “Quantum of Solace,” announced this weekend that she has contracted COVID-19, the disease caused by the new coronavirus.
“I’ve actually been ill for almost a week now,” she wrote on Instagram. “Fever and fatigue are my main symptoms. Take care of yourself and do take this seriously!”
Donavan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert, both players on the Utah Jazz basketball team, have tested positive for the virus. Gobert was the first NBA player to test positive, which prompted the suspension of the rest of the basketball season.
Callum Hudson-Odoi, a forward for the Chelsea football team, tested positive for the virus, in addition to Arsenal coach Mikel Arteta. Following the announcement, all professional soccer games in England have been postponed.