15-year-old Coco Gauff summed up her whirlwind journey to stardom after stunning defending champion Naomi Osaka at the Australian Open: 'What is my life?!'
- 15-year-old wunderkind Coco Gauff stunned defending champion Naomi Osaka in the third round of the Australian Open Friday.
- Gauff took down Osaka — who was ranked third in the world prior to the loss — in straight sets to become the youngest woman in the professional era to take down the tournament's reigning champion.
- In her post-match interview, Gauff reflected on her whirlwind journey from losing in the first round of juniors two years ago to taking down tennis greats like Osaka and Venus Williams on the world's biggest stages.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Coco Gauff is rolling through the Australian Open.
The 15-year-old wunderkind stunned world No. 3 Naomi Osaka in the third round of the Australian Open Friday to become the youngest woman in the professional era to take down the tournament's reigning champion.
In her post-match interview, Gauff reflected on her whirlwind journey from relative anonymity to superstardom.
"Honestly, like, what is my life?!" she said. "Oh my gosh. Two years ago, I lost first round in juniors and now I'm here. Like this is crazy."
Gauff catapulted into the tennis mainstream after taking down then-world No. 44 Venus Williams in straight sets in her main draw debut at Wimbledon in 2019. She made a Cinderella run all the way to the fourth round of the tournament, where she lost to eventual champion Simona Halep.
The teenager followed up that incredible effort with another hot streak at the US Open, where she cruised to the third round before losing to then-world No. 1 Naomi Osaka. And now she's making a remarkable run during yet another Grand Slam. She's defeated Williams and now Osaka en route to a fourth-round matchup against world No. 15 Sofia Kenin Saturday.
- Naomi Osaka apologized for her 'childish' outburst after she threw her racket to the floor after having her serve broken during an Australian Open match
- Tennis player Ajla Tomljanović was asked about her boyfriend at an Australian Open press conference instead of the match she'd just won
- Coco Gauff, 15, just beat Venus Williams for the second time in a year, taking her to the second round of the Australian Open