Family of Ravens fan who died at game questions whether team responded fast enough to save him

M&T Bank Stadium.
A fan died at M&T Bank Stadium during Saturday's game. (Photo by Mark Goldman/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Family members of the Baltimore Ravens fan who fell and died at Saturday’s game are questioning whether the team acted fast enough to save the man’s life, according to WBAL-TV 11.

Mike Kahler, 30, died during Saturday’s game after falling and hitting his head on the stadium steps. Kahler’s sister, Holly Stanson, said she believes it took the team too long to get Kahler the attention he needed.

"The main concern was when they were all waving, fans and everything, for the ushers to come over, it took them so much time to come over, and then when they did, they didn't know who to call and the response time for anybody with any type of training was after 15 minutes," Stanson said.

The Ravens released a statement sending their sympathies to Kahler’s family. In the statement, the team detailed how it responded to the incident. The Ravens said medical professionals reached Kahler within 3 minutes. Kahler was reportedly taken to the first aid room after 14 minutes. He was then transferred to an ambulance roughly 15 minutes after that.

Stanson claimed Ravens personnel did a poor job treating Kahler initially. She said the team did not know how to handle Kahler, who was 6-foot-6. She also said Kahler slid off a gurney as he was being tended to by professionals.

Stanson said she wanted to make sure the Ravens were handling the situation right to ensure this doesn’t happen to another fan at the stadium.

It’s the third death to occur at M&T Bank Stadium in less than a year. On Dec. 15, a body was found in a port-a-potty outside the stadium. Last February, a man died after being engulfed in flames and running out of the portable toilet in the parking lot.


Chris Cwik is a writer for Yahoo Sports. Have a tip? Email him at or follow him on Twitter! Follow @Chris_Cwik

More from Yahoo Sports: