Armed student shot by police in Wisconsin's second school shooting in as many days

Police shot an armed student who confronted an officer at a Wisconsin high school on Tuesday, marking the state’s second school shooting in as many days, authorities said.

Details of the latest incident were still unclear late Tuesday morning, but police in the city of Oshkosh said a student who was “armed with a weapon confronted" a school resource officer and the cop fired at least one shot. Both the teen and the officer sustained injuries and were taken to local hospitals, according to the city’s police department.

Authorities said no other students were injured and there was no threat to the community. The incident took place shortly after 9 a.m., local time, at Oshkosh West High School, which is about 50 miles south of Green Bay.

The shooting was remarkably similar to an incident Monday morning at a suburban Milwaukee high school, where police shot an armed male student who allegedly pointed a gun at an officer inside a classroom. The 17-year-old Waukesha South High School student was taken to the hospital in stable condition and no one else was injured, according to police.

Related: Donald Trump in Wisconsin

Monday’s shooting happened after a student alerted a school resource officer that a classmate was carrying a handgun, authorities said. When the officer went to the classroom, a standoff ensued and the cop fired his weapon.

Wisconsin Attorney General Josh Kaul praised the officer and first responders from preventing a potentially bigger tragedy.

“No student should have to go through a day like the one that students at Waukesha South went through today," he said in a statement Monday. “And no parent should have to go through a day like the one those students’ parents had today.”

The Oshkosh Police Department would not say what type of weapon the student was carrying or what may have led to the altercation.

Kate Mann, the department’s public information officer, said at a brief news conference that the investigation will be turned over to the state. She did not know whether the teen and officer sustained life-threatening injuries.

The high school was evacuated and parents were sent to a nearby middle school to reunite with their children.