California woman becomes 59th victim of Las Vegas massacre two years after shooting

Kate Feldman

Two years after Stephen Paddock opened fire out of his Las Vegas hotel room and into the crowd at the Route 91 Harvest Music Festival, another victim has succumbed to her injuries, becoming the 59th victim of the gruesome shooting.

Kim Gervais, a 57-year-old mother of two, died Friday after being rushed to a Redlands, Calif., hospital, the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department said in a statement Monday.

Gervais was shot in the back on Oct. 1, 2017, and suffered spinal surgeries that left her paralyzed from the neck down. She had been living at a nursing facility in Redlands for more than a year.

A coroner’s report is still pending but Gervais’ sister, Dena Sarvela, told KPTV that “her heart stopped” from the stress on her body.

Related: Heartbreaking scenes from Las Vegas shooting vigils and memorial services

This content is not available due to your privacy preferences.
Update your settings here to see it.

“She hurt. Even though she was paralyzed from the neck up, she could feel all the pain,” Sarvela said. “There was scrap metal still in her because he used exploding bullets.”

Gervais becomes the 59th person killed in the 2017 massacre that saw hundreds of people injured.

Paddock fired more than 1,100 rounds of ammunition from the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel, then turned the gun on himself.

“Our thoughts go out to the family and friends of Kim Gervais,” the government of Clark County, Nevada, tweeted Monday. "For the past two years, she had battled the physical and psychological toll of the Las #Vegas Shooting.

A motive for the shooting has never been determined.

Last month, MGM Resorts agreed to settle a lawsuit with the victims of the shooting for $735 million to $800 million.