Woman dies after going to hospital to get cyst removed: 'They killed her'


A 27-year-old mother from New York died after she went to a hospital to get a cyst in her left thigh removed, according to ABC News.

On Sept. 21, Rosemary Abreu went to Lincoln Hospital in the Bronx to simply have the cyst removed, family attorney Sanford Rubenstein recently revealed. During the procedure, however, the mother of two purportedly went into cardiac arrest after something went awry.

Rubenstein said that Abreu was in perfectly good health prior to the operation and believes that doctors may have either administered too much anesthesia or failed to monitor how much anesthesia they had injected. Abreu's family is now seeking $50 million in damages from the hospital and NYC Health + Hospitals, which oversees public hospitals and clinics in the city.

"This is tragic and unacceptable," the lawyer said. "A single mother of two young girls should not die under these circumstances. ... She went in for a simple procedure, which was to remove a cyst in the left thigh."

At a press conference last Friday, Abreu's mother, Dorah Restituyo, was reportedly overcome with emotion in the wake of her daughter's death.

"They killed my daughter," she said. "They killed her. I don't know why. I don't know what happened to my daughter."

In a statement to ABC News, NYC Health + Hospitals offered its condolences.

"The health and safety of our patients is always our No. 1 priority," a spokesperson said. "This incident is tragic, and we offer our sincere condolences to the family and loved ones. Patient privacy and confidentiality laws prevent us from commenting further on this case."

Abreu had worked for the New York City Department of Education, People reports. She leaves behind two daughters, ages 9 and 2.

"It's very hard for me to explain to my granddaughters that their mother is not coming back," Restituyo said, according to the magazine. "I don’t imagine my life after that day, but I have to [live] for my granddaughters."