Woman shares shocking photo after aerosol can explodes in hot car, shattering sunroof

A Missouri mother is speaking out after an aerosol can exploded in her daughter's car, shattering the sunroof and destroying the center console before ultimately landing 50 feet from the battered vehicle.

Christine Debrecht shared photos of her daughter's Honda Civic on Facebook last week to serve as a staunch warning to parents and drivers everywhere. 

"I really feel like I need to spread the word about this and hopefully prevent others from experiencing this damage or even injury," Debrecht wrote. "This can of dry shampoo was left in my daughter's car's middle console. The lid of the console was closed."

"It was hot yesterday and the can exploded," she explained. "It blew the console cover off of its hinges, shot through the sunroof, and went high enough in the air that it landed about 50 feet away."

Photos of the damage: 

Aerosol can explodes in car, shatters sunroof
See Gallery
Aerosol can explodes in car, shatters sunroof

Debrecht told KSDK that thankfully no one was inside the vehicle when the incident took place. However, she added that the scale of the perplexing damage was so severe it took her family about 15 minutes to figure out what had caused it. The case was finally solved when the exploded dry shampoo can was discovered 50 feet away from the scene. 

As the temperature surrounding an aerosol can rises, the pressure inside the container also increases, and temperatures over 120 degrees Fahrenheit can lead to dangerous explosions, according to Safety Management Group, which provides workplace safety trainings nationwide.

The temperature in St. Peters, Mo., where Debrecht and her family live, hovered around 90 degrees Fahrenheit on the day when the can exploded, meaning the temperature inside the vehicle was likely closer to 125-130 degrees.

Walmart, which owns Equate, the brand of dry shampoo that exploded in Debrecht's daughter's car, said in a statement, "Equate Dry Shampoo includes a specific warning, like most aerosol products, that it may explode if heated and not stored as directed." 

Although most aerosol cans do, in fact, include similar labels warning consumers to store them in a dry area where they will not be exposed to excessive heat, Debrecht says she believes not enough people take those labels seriously. 

"I just want to remind you (and your kids) to heed those warnings on products you may be using," she wrote on Facebook. "Please don't leave aerosol cans (and especially dry shampoo, as this seems to be an issue with some brands) in your car! I am so grateful that no one was hurt."

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.