Boy thrown 40 feet from Mall of America balcony returns home after 5 months in hospital
The 5-year-old boy who was thrown from a balcony at the Mall of America in April has finally come home from the hospital.
The boy's family announced the good news via their GoFundMe page Tuesday, telling supporters that their son had completed his inpatient rehabilitation program.
"We are pleased to share that our son completed his inpatient rehabilitation and is now home," the post read. "We are so thankful, and we rejoice in the Lord’s blessings to our family."
This is the latest positive development for the 5-year-old, identified only as Landen, who received a litany of severe injuries after a stranger threw him nearly 40 feet from a balcony at the mall in Bloomington, Minn.
Emmanuel Deshawn Aranda, who pleaded guilty to first-degree attempted murder in May, told investigators that he threw Landen because he was "looking for someone to kill" after several women had rejected his advances. He was sentenced to 19 years in prison.
"Your act was evil and selfish. You chose to listen to the worst parts of yourself that day," Landen's father said of Aranda. "That is where your impact on us stops. You will take nothing more from us."
The fall left Landen with two broken arms, a broken leg, and a fractured skull, among other injuries. He also had fluid leaking into multiple organs and had to have his spleen removed.
Landen's family started the GoFundMe page back in April to help pay for their son's medical care, which involved numerous surgeries, months in intensive care and finally his rehabilitation program, which began last month. The page has raised more than $1 million, with money pouring in from more than 29,000 donors.
"Thank you to all of you who prayed for us and loved us during the past 4½ months," the family posted on their page. "You helped to give us hope and show us the Glory of God’s great love here on earth even during the darkest of days."