David Ortiz hires former police commissioner to look into his shooting

David Ortiz’s wounds are healing, but he still doesn’t know why he was shot at a Dominican Republic nightclub back in June. And now he’s doing something about it.

Ortiz, who has been recovering at home since being released from the hospital last month, has hired a security firm to look into the shooting. The firm, the Edward Davis Company, is headed by former Boston police commissioner Ed Davis.

Joe Baerlein, a spokesman for Ortiz (and a principal owner of the Edward Davis Company) confirmed the company’s hiring to the Boston Globe, saying that they’re "monitoring and analyzing information from various sources in the Dominican Republic around the motives for the shooting of Ortiz on June 9th.”

Baerlein also said that they’re providing security for the Ortiz family, and that Ortiz himself is “damn interested in finding out what really happened.”

7 PHOTOS
David Ortiz with his family
See Gallery
David Ortiz with his family
BOSTON, MA - SEPTEMBER 30: David Ortiz #34 of the Boston Red Sox reacts with his son D'Angelo Ortiz before a game against the Toronto Blue Jays on September 30, 2016 at Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Billie Weiss/Boston Red Sox/Getty Images)
BOSTON, MA - SEPTEMBER 30: David Ortiz #34 of the Boston Red Sox looks on with his son D'Angelo Ortiz before a game against the Toronto Blue Jays on September 30, 2016 at Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts. (Photo by Billie Weiss/Boston Red Sox/Getty Images)
NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 29: David Ortiz #34 of the Boston Red Sox is introduced alongside his son D'Angelo Ortiz during a retirement ceremony before his final game at Yankee Stadium against the New York Yankees on September 29, 2016 at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx borough of New York City. (Photo by Billie Weiss/Boston Red Sox/Getty Images)
NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 29: David Ortiz #34 of the Boston Red Sox poses with his wife Tiffany and daughter Alex before his final game at Yankee Stadium against the New York Yankees on September 29, 2016 at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx borough of New York City. (Photo by Billie Weiss/Boston Red Sox/Getty Images)
NEW YORK, NY - SEPTEMBER 29: David Ortiz #34 of the Boston Red Sox walks off the field with his family after a retirement ceremony before his final game at Yankee Stadium against the New York Yankees on September 29, 2016 at Yankee Stadium in the Bronx borough of New York City. (Photo by Billie Weiss/Boston Red Sox/Getty Images)
BOSTON, MA - APRIL 11: Alex Ortiz, daughter of David Ortiz #34 of the Boston Red Sox, reacts after completing the National Anthem before the Red Sox home opener against the Baltimore Orioles on April 11, 2016 at Fenway Park in Boston, Massachusetts . (Photo by Michael Ivins/Boston Red Sox/Getty Images)
BOSTON - APRIL 11: Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz hugs his daughter, Alexandra Ortiz, after she sang the national anthem before the game. The Boston Red Sox hosted the Baltimore Orioles at Fenway Park for their home opener of the 2016 Major League Baseball season. (Photo by Jim Davis/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)
HIDE CAPTION
SHOW CAPTION
of
SEE ALL
BACK TO SLIDE

A number of people — including the alleged mastermind Victor Hugo Gómez — have been arrested in the Dominican Republic in connection to the shooting that critically injured the 43-year-old former Boston Red Sox slugger. It was later reported that the incident was a $30,000 hit gone wrong, and Gómez had allegedly wanted his cousin killed. Ortiz is friends with Gómez’s cousin, and was sharing a table with him at the nightclub when he was shot.

While the prevailing theory behind Ortiz’s shooting has been mistaken identity, it seems like Ortiz — or the Edward Davis Company — has doubts about that.

"[Ortiz] had no basis for a long time to challenge their theory of mistaken identity,” Baerlein told the Globe. “However, as new facts continue to come up, it lends some optimism that there may be some other conclusions that are drawn before it's over about why David was shot.”

The bullet that entered Ortiz’s abdomen injured his small intestine, large intestine, liver, and gall bladder, and he’s had several surgeries to repair the damage. But the doctors at the time said that Ortiz would be able to make a full recovery, and less than three months after the shooting, Ortiz seems to be well on his way. On Sunday he posted pictures of himself and his daughter, Alex, as they took part in the great late August tradition of dropping your kid off at college.


More from Yahoo Sports:

Read Full Story

Sign up for Breaking News by AOL to get the latest breaking news alerts and updates delivered straight to your inbox.

Subscribe to our other newsletters

Emails may offer personalized content or ads. Learn more. You may unsubscribe any time.